[redis-db] What's 'z' stands for in command names related to sorted sets
sky Chen
2015-08-17 14:57:33 UTC
I'm learning via the fantastic interactive tutorial. Just out of curiosity,
what's the 'z' stands for in sorted sets? (zadd, zrange, etc.).

It would certainly help me remembering sorted sets commands if I
understands its name. For example, sadd(set add), lpush(left push),
hset(hash set).
Josiah Carlson
2015-08-17 19:08:01 UTC
Salvatore (the author of Redis) has mentioned that the naming of ZSET came
from the 3d concept of a "Z-Buffer", which represents geometry depth and
rendering order. The Z was borrowed from there, even if the concepts don't
completely overlap, except that a sorted set/zset does sort things.

- Josiah
Itamar Haber
2015-08-17 19:59:54 UTC
Picking up where Josiah left off, a z-buffer is used to implement z-order,
which makes perfect sense when the following is said with a crisp German
accent: "Ze order is important!"

(Only a mnemonic, no offense meant to the German people and/or their
language ;))